PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - This will keep us safe
View Single Post
Old 10th May 2017, 22:59
KRviator

Received 117 Likes on 61 Posts
Originally Posted by VHFRT
1) "I'm not on CentreLink, so yes the government is right to do whatever they want to stop payments to others"
If someone is rorting the system, then yes, why should Centrelink not stop, or recover, payments? If you are doing the right thing, you (should) have nothing to fear about having your payments stopped. Unfortunately, I see far too many people in my local area that could work, but appear to choose not to, so yes, I fully support this concept.

2) "Yes, of course the government should drug test people on welfare! (a job that will be outsourced to a private company)
Effin oath they should be doing this! If I - and presumably most PPRuner's - have to be drug & alcohol free at work, and get randomly tested at work, to earn our money, why should Centrelink recipients not be the same? After all, aren't most drugs they'll be testing for illegal anyway?

3) "Yes! Of course it should be harder to get an Aviation Security Card! Of course pilots should go through the same security screening I do when I go to Bali"
Just to prove I can agree with something said here, I do not agree with this. Aviation security in Australia is a joke at the best of times. How much money has been poured into security in Australia since 9/11? How many lives have been "saved" as a result? How many lives have been lost as a result of terrorism in Australia since Federation? 17 according to wikipedia. 17 killed by "Terrorists" in Australia in the last hundred years. How many killed on our roads last Christmas holidays?

Put another way - The United States kills around 35,000 people in automobile crashes every single year. In 2001, there were over 42,000 fatalities on US roads, 10x the Sept 11 body count. But no one bats an eye. Trillions of dollars spent on "the war on terror", thousands of soldiers dead, yet more people die on US roads than are killed by terrorists. And no one is questioning it...