PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The imminent death of US aviation
View Single Post
Old 10th May 2017, 19:49
ethicalconundrum

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
My experience preceded most of those here. After leaving the armed forces(rotary wing, 771 hours-tt), I investigated going the pro route. This was in the early 80s. Let me tell you, back then trying to get into a 121 seat was murder compared to the past 8-10 years. None of the majors would even let you in the door unless you had +1000 in Air Farce, and preferably loadstar, C130, C141, C5 type. I had a lowly rotary wing ticket, which I then got transitioned to fixed wing in the front seat of a Citabria. So, I got my comm finally, and believe it or not - I thought that towing banners for peanuts up and down the coast of SoCal would prepare me for a pro pilot career. Hah!! What a noob I was. No one, and I mean not one person in a major would even let me in the door. I had tailwheel, off-airport, mountain, and some ME time, but it was worthless.

Here's the deal, and it applies to a lot of careers, but aviation careers are even more relevant. The open market will determine price and availability. A prev poster mentioned that today's kids are far more informed about the inside scoop, and so reluctant to do the work needed to move up. I think this is a key indicator. There was that aura back in the 80s, that with the right skills, and the right degree(EE from UCLA), someone could work their way to the FE seat, or the right seat at PSA, or one of the other feeder carriers, and maybe someday work up to a 7x7 at United or AA. What - a - bunch - of - BS. Now, kids know that most of the jobs are going to pay spit. And, you have to live out of a suitcase. And, worst of all, the probability of getting that big right seat job in the majors is very, very small. You have to wait for a lot of people to die, retire, and it's like credit. You can have it if you already have it, but if you need it you have to already have it.

Anyway, I had a good time, although I almost ran into a Piper one day while I was oogling some babes down in Torrey Pines. Literally, I could read the "DC" logo on his headset we got that close. So I went on to a profession in nuclear energy. It was a good time too, and paid well. But - I caution anyone that is looking for pro pilot job that no matter if it's in AK, or not - you will be rejected many times before you find a cheap seat to hold down while you burn a lot of fuel, and if you ever do make it up to the majors, you will have left a nice trail of tears along the way.