PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BAe ATP. What was wrong with it?
View Single Post
Old 10th May 2017, 13:55
Porky Speedpig

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Non-Driver
I had the joys of being on the BA acceptance team for one of the early ones as a young Eng grad along with Chief Eng & Chief Pilot ATP from GLA at the time (can't remember the names ...Davy C ? and Lloyd G ?)...... they were both characters, think the CP went onto a decent role at LHR on Big Jet fleet....
The acceptance was a bit of a joke and the Woodford team were fairly amateurish. We ended up with a WX radar shadowing problem which they couldn't fix despite LRU and radome changes. They wanted us to accept it and they'd fix it later on the line at GLA. We politely declined their kind offer on the basis that if they couldn't solve it at the factory they were unlikely to do so on the line and accepting an aircraft with a ops limiting ADD wouldn't be the best PR for them. We all went home and it took them a couple of weeks to remedy it. The aircraft got a knickname as the reg carried the initials of the CSM delivering it (TP) with the addition of F for "fault"

I remember the PWC rep being astonished at some of the manufacturing practices on display compared to other OEM's he'd worked at. I also had reason not to thank him when after the first acceptance flight he informed be they'd been experiencing turbine lock when practising OEI's meaning they had to fly around on one until the turbine and case returned to low temps....

Before I did that acceptance I was briefly in Fleet Procurement and we had no plans to take the ATP on. However BAe were so desperate to shift them they gave us an offer we absolutely couldn't refuse so we went from no-interest to instant fleet in a matter of weeks. To be fair, despite the problems they did stay on far longer that anyone expected so they must have eventually had some merits and GLA was a close-knit team.
Lloyd Griffiths - now Lloyd Cromwell Griffiths