PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Clouds
Thread: Clouds
View Single Post
Old 10th May 2017, 10:23
oggers

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
the advice seems to be turn back asap. It got me wondering. Can you not just fly below the clouds to maintain visibility or around them. Sorry if its a silly question but I have only and one taster flight/lesson
Not actually a silly question. There was a foreign student undergoing flying training with the RAF/RN. Despite all the checks and measures on his progress, his first solo x-country ended when he flew into a cloud and ended up bailing out. Ultimately it happened because the guy had not even thought to ask himself this very question. If you see a cloud coming you avoid it in the most convenient manner, as Pilot DAR explained. Turning back is a good option if you already flew into a cloud by accident.

Also is it easier to learn there as we have very calm weather no strong winds etc
Yes, the weather is better for flying training in southern Africa. I would train wherever is the most convenient and cost effective for you personally, but I would prioritise a good school/instructor. At some point it becomes good experience to have marginal weather but all other factors being equal you want the place with the best weather for the PPL course.