PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The imminent death of US aviation
View Single Post
Old 10th May 2017, 03:07
A Squared

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by boofhead
There have been discussions by the FAA to change the 1500 rule so your statement that they have to live with it is patently untrue.
But just a few months ago, you were saying:

Originally Posted by boofhead
As a confirmed conspiracy theorist I believe that the FAA has knowingly done this to kill aviation in the USA.
So which is it? The FAA is behind the law, or the FAA wants to get rid of it? You understand that you don't improve your credibility by making diametrically opposed statements on an issue, right?

That aside, what "discussions" and by who? Having your POI say he'd like to change the rule is pretty different than the top level in Washington discussing it that. I'm pretty skeptical that you're privy to the latter. Even if they'd like to change it, they can't. The rule is in place because it was mandated by Congress. For some reason you can't seem to wrap your head around that concept. I'm not sure why. It's a pretty simple concept. I'll explain it one more time (although I'm not fooling myself that you'll understand it this time either) The FAA is part of the Executive branch of the US. As such, they are required to "faithfully Execute" laws passed by Congress. This is in our Constitution. For the most part, the FAA has a lot of latitude to write regulations (different from "laws") as long as it falls within the laws passed by Congress. On occasion, Congress passes a law which says that the FAA *shall* make a regulation. This is one of those cases. Congress indeed passed a law explicitly requiring the FAA to put a regulation in place requiring an ATP for Part 121 airlines. This isn't something the FAA can disregard, nor can they go back later and say "Well, we don't like this regulation, so we're going to change it" The only way the FAA can change this is if Congress, passes *another* law, amending the first law to remove the mandate for ATPs for Airline pilots.

That's the way the system works. End of story. And every time you say "the FAA is going to do this" or "the FAA should have done this" or "It's the FAA's fault we have this" all you do is make yourself look foolish and underscore the fact that you don't understand how the government in the US works.