PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Commuting Qantas 787 and other types
View Single Post
Old 9th May 2017, 12:05
Keg

Nunc est bibendum

Received 11 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by fearcampaign
Having flown an additional 5 hours from the East Coast on day of ULH operations would be unprofessional in my opinion.

It depends a bit on the schedule. Under the current planned departure time ex PER of 1850 I'm inclined to agree. If it were me commuting for the 787 (it won't be), for an an evening sign on I'd be aiming to arrive in PER 8-10 hours prior to report time and get away from the airport, do some exercise and allow some time to have a snooze before report. All eminently doable if the report time was 8pm PER time or later. That could conceivably see me better rested than a local dealing with young family, life, etc.

The current report time of 1750 won't allow that so were I to commute for the PER-LHR based on the current schedule I'd arrange to be in port the night before.

Then again, that's based on my personal experience of commuting to PER for the A330 operation. Others who have commuted previously may have different opinions depending on where they have commuted from/ to and for what sort of operation. I certainly welcome the thoughts of those who have never commuted but having gone from someone who 10 years ago was in the 'never, ever' camp, actually living it opens one's eyes to how to ensure you're adequately rested for a tour of duty.