PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - PIA pilot suspended after having long nap
Old 9th May 2017, 01:48
Airbubba

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I've seen a lot of techniques for the seat swap with an augmented crew over the years. Some domiciles are used to having an extra pilot, in others it's a rarity on only one or two sectors and you feel like they are reinventing the wheel every time you swap seats.

Normally in my experience the relief pilot sits in the left seat when he or she replaces the captain, in the right seat when replacing the FO. I've observed the odd swap protocol mentioned in the article above where the relief pilot stays in the flight engineer memorial seat and one control seat stays empty. And, I've seen where the pilots up front divide breaks for themselves but there is not one for the relief pilot.

And, I've seen where the captain gets out, the relief pilot gets in the left seat. And the captain comes back and swaps with the FO. And, the next move, the captain tries to step over the center console back to the left seat while not snagging a trouser leg on the throttles. 'That's the way we did it on the tanker' the Air Force guys tell me.

Some airlines block a crew rest seat in the cabin for the off-duty pilot, others use rest facilities away from the pax. Back in 1999 a Delta crew flying ATL-NRT famously diverted to PDX because they weren't happy with the crew rest facility provided. Don't try this one unless you have a union card would be my advice.