PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Unintended 457 consequences could ground airlines
Old 8th May 2017, 23:45
Band a Lot

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yesterday on a migration forum a question was answered by a RMA (Registered Migration Agent). The poster working in film production has an Australian company willing to sponsor this person for a 186 visa (Skilled Worker Visa), he asked if the total cost of $13,000 was fair ($7,000 application fees and the like $6000 in "lawyer" fees") for he and his partner.

The RMA replied "Sounds about right for 2 adults if the Nomination is included."

Now these RMA's (lawyers) charge around $180 per hour, so that's over 30 hours by a person knowing how the visa system all works, and has access to documents the general public don't like PAM3.

As with all Australian visas you can do them yourself as I have done in the past with a Partner Visa that also has a fee of around $7,000. This application took me 3-4 months of heavy research and over 1 month more to actually do the application. Even then I had a RMA go over my application before I submitted it. I will also add I had previous visa experiences prior to this application so not a novice.

After lodgement there is virtually no contact from DIBP, we had our application approved about 9 months later - current process times are 12-15 months.

I am aware that process times for 189 visa are a bit faster than this and certainly if the applicant is from a "high risk country" (this depends on passport held and not what you would normally think).

On the other hand I worked overseas - A hand full of relevant papers, a verbal medical with a doctor, a small fee and a long 30 day wait. Then my work permit and residence permits were issued. A simple renewal form was required every 2 years.

Most Australians have NO IDEA nor any care for the state of our visa system, only what they have seen on the news about 457's and "Backpackers Visas" (Is no such thing as a Backpackers Visa FYI), but then the google and see what occupations are on the list and become experts.

457 visas are required in aviation in Australia now and into the future, is the approval system perfect? No, but you need to supply a solution that is workable for all parties - and it needs to be a one size fits all for all occupations not just the small aviation sec
tor.

I would love to hear some good suggestions, I will even pass them on to a MRA that can get them listened to via the Minister for Immigration.