PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Plane hits powerline- no one hurt!
View Single Post
Old 8th May 2017, 18:17
9 lives

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Watching the video carefully, it appears to me that it was not hitting the wires, but rather the outboard right wing tank (which in a Cherokee is the leading edge of the wing) being sliced by the perfectly aligned knife edge of the traffic light shield projecting up.

Crop dusters handle wire strike a little better, as they are often equipped with wire jumpers, which will, to some degree, redirect a contacted wire, up and over the fin. Cherokees are not so equipped - they just will not handle wire strikes well.

This pilot made the best of a difficult situation. I courteously turned out of the way of a jet behind him, which I have done too, and in doing so, surrendered his opportunity for a safe landing straight ahead - which moments later, he really needed.

The air traffic controller, and the Boeing pilots may be rethinking their need to rush since that accident, 30 seconds of patience on their part would have made a world of difference for the Cherokee pilot. Happily, this is a relatively little deal. It would be a really big deal, had there been a full city bus going around that corner at that moment, and a bunch of people were impacted.

I'm getting old, and more willing to wait for better conditions, particularly for a departure with a safe return to earth place....