PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Wing down during final approach.
View Single Post
Old 8th May 2017, 15:49
RAT 5

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
In various a/c there are often a variety of techniques. IMHO the crab technique to about 5-300' is the same for all. It is after that where things might change. The crab could be maintained until flare, then removed. You could transition to a slip manoeuvre and maintain until flare landing on the upwind wheel; or a combination of the 2. In some a/c, B738, there is a max X-wind for pure sideslip landing. This is due to bank angle flap contact. Other a/c may have restrictions due to engine pod contact: I suspect A340 might. On B738, in medium X-winds I used crab then slip about 200'. On B757/767 I set up the slip at after 300' on strong days. All seemed to work OK.
What I found disturbing with some operators is that they had an SOP teaching only 1 of the optional techniques. This I considered to be a further dumbing down of teaching a pilot how to handle the a/c IAW the manufacturer's FCTM. Pilots are already not truly taught the envelope to the a/c, and restricting their education to only 1 technique is IMHO not complete training.