PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BBVA Stop Funding Pilot Loans
View Single Post
Old 8th May 2017, 13:57
Bealzebub

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Even in UKwith minimum salary of 6 pounds per hour a single person can make around 1000 pounds per month net (at least), and after paying your cost of life, it left you with 600 pounds per month, allowing you to save 7200 per year, and that“s on the minimum wage! if you start working with 18 years, at the age of 30, you are mentioning, and supposed you didn“t progress anyhow in your life you will have close to 87K pounds.
There is a parent inside of me that really wants to agree with you. In 2011 I started to follow the progress of a new group of cadets who started their careers with us, from one of the big 3 training schools. Broadly speaking, it had cost them around £90,000 at the time of their training (2011/2012). Over the past 5 years a few have moved on to other companies such that there now around 70% of that group left. In that time the group would have earned around £275,000 gross. Because of the favourable tax treatment of their training bonds (where they took advantage of those) that gross figure would have been around £225,000 net. That is (broadly speaking) around £45000 per year take home. For those that took out loans to cover their training (all but two that I am aware of) the average repayment schedule was around 7 years. Of this "snapshot" group some have already repaid their loans and some are within 24 months of doing so. Every circumstance is different and the sums borrowed vary from individual to individual, but broadly speaking to amortise these loans over the last 60 months would have cost the individuals up to £1500 a month. That still left an average sum of £2250 per month. Judging by the number who now have mortgages and new cars, I am guessing they actually have a lot less to show at the end of the month! Of this same "snapshot" group, the first few have just obtained their promotions which will take them into six figure gross salaries. Coupled with the end (or impending end) of their training loans, these individuals are looking at a significant rise in their net salaries. Given the age range of this group was 19-32 with the majority below 25 at onset. They are now 24-37 with an average age of around 27/28 at this point.

As a caveat, and before anybody else jumps in, this is a snapshot of one group I have been able to follow since 2011. It isn't necessarily representative of any other group, it doesn't take into account reductions to T&C's for new entrants over the intervening period, nor should it be the basis for anybodies individual future planning. However, it does highlight the fact that if this particular group had, instead of borrowing (where applicable) deferred to saving £7200 a year, those savings would have been completely eroded by the increased cost of the same programme. They would have been worse off by the reduction in the terms on offer 5 years later. They wouldn't be looking at a command for at least another 5 years. They would (at best) have put their careers on hiatus for 5 years if not their whole lifestyles.

As I say, even though the parent side of me wants to agree with you, the flip side (for those for whom everything has worked out well) presents another viewpoint.