PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BBVA Stop Funding Pilot Loans
View Single Post
Old 8th May 2017, 07:04
Thegreenmachine

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by spaflyer
Yes sir, 3 years in Milton Keynes, sharing apartments with other 5 people, renting a room for 220 pounds per month, another 20 for mobile phone, and 120 for food, and 40 for pocket expenses. But ones again I see comments, like without a car... without an Iphone... without beers... yes sir without all of those, and that´s the way to save money....
Let me congratulate you on how you saved money but please don't take the moral high ground in this. Somebody else posted similar a few days ago but hastily deleted their post as well. Everybody has individual circumstances.

From your story you said you stayed for 3 years, this tells me it was a number of years ago. Rent has risen far far quicker than wages, particularly in SE England. A double impact of deflated wages and rising rents would squeeze your £600 a month closer to £4-500 over the past few years. As a ball park comparison I think I'm correct in saying the standard whitetail course at one of the big 3 UK schools has risen from £69,000 to £89,000 in 10 years. Of course modular is not as extreme.

With super low interest rates your real terms cash value is probably decreasing almost as quick as you save it!

I assume you never visited home once, bought anyone a Christmas or birthday present, didn't travel anywhere beyond work and home, or never once went out for a meal with a friend or colleague? Kudos if you are that disciplined.

Of course all of us saved in one way shape or form, and it's to be encouraged. However, the way you describe it is almost like you want a pat on the back and everyone should do as you do!
I could go on and on but don't want to detract from the main purpose of this topic.

My two pence says that BBVA leaving the market will cut off one of the only ways into the integrated schemes for some folk. A shame really.
Schools are going to have to react by cutting their costs as invetably it will have an impact, albeit minor on student numbers. Some of these schools have massive back office operations working behind the scenes. A rough guess says 15-20% of my coursemates used BBVA.