PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Recollection of Fletcher FU-24 Fatal Accident Armidale area circa 1957
Old 8th May 2017, 04:29
Ex FSO GRIFFO

Received 45 Likes on 20 Posts
Small World George,

In March 1970 I was asked to ferry EOG from JT to BK.
I was in no particular hurry, so away I went, with rather 'short' legs due to the fuel tank capacity....

36 Gals if I remember correctly at around 12 gph, meant that in a 'little' over 2 hours I was in need of the 'necessary'.

Interestingly, I did find that the beast cruised / wallowed at 87 kts if in turbulence, but it could be trimmed 'nose down' and got onto 'the step' and cruise at 100kts - until the next bit of turbulence. that is.....

The flight went well, and ole EOG did not 'miss a beat', despite sitting at JT for some considerable time.
I did insist on a 100 hourly before departure, and delivered the aircraft safely to 'Rex Aviation' at BK I think.....

It had been used for 'survey' work in the NW of WA as far as I am aware, but had nil in the way of any 'gear' fitted. It could have been used to re-supply remote camps etc.

I was 'amused' by the big inverted triangle on the side...."In case of crash check inside for other occupants", it was a fairly 'cavernous' interior.

It didn't mind leaving the ground at all....not much in the way of nose 'rotation' / pitch movement, just a 'small leap' with flap, almost 'horizontal' really.

You mentioned the rate of roll - I found a fair bit of rudder to be the most effective way of turning quickly. That big dihedral on the outer panels seemed to be made for the job.

It would have been more 'sporty' with a turbine.

Happy days.

Cheers

Last edited by Ex FSO GRIFFO; 8th May 2017 at 04:49.