PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Commuting Qantas 787 and other types
View Single Post
Old 8th May 2017, 02:27
C441

Received 115 Likes on 46 Posts
So is that an issue that is specific to commuting, or is it more a pilot issue and that pilot happened to be a commuter? I've not had someone nod off mid sentence but I've flown with people who weren't commuters who have struggled to stay awake for the same reasons. It happens irrespective of commuting status.
He was not a commuter but used the other facility supposedly available to get a crewmember to their duty at a time of their choosing. He chose to pax down as late as possible despite there being 'suitable rest facilities' available to him.

The point I was making is that some of our colleagues do not accept the responsibility their job entails and turn up less than suitably rested in the hope they'll get the first break…..and angryrat yes the pilot in question was reminded of this responsibility, and no paperwork was submitted.

I don't see the relevance of your 'alcohol/fatigue analogy' either; we're arguing the same thing but you seem to be implying that you knew someone was unfit to operate but you let it slide anyway?!
We are arguing the same point but given the performance comparison between fatigue levels and alcohol consumption, it disappoints me that crew will still turn up to work knowing they are significantly under-rested and the impact that has on their performance, but would not in a million years deliberately turn up after even 1 beer. The performance impact is similar and I'm trying to point out that I don't condone either.

Alternatively, given that humans are often not great at assessing their own levels of fatigue, perhaps they started work in a fit state (even you were not alarmed?) but, as circadian disrhythmia can, your off-sider became very tired soon after departure. Predictable? Maybe. Desirable? Of course not! Insurmountable? I doubt it.😉
In this case, only he could determine his state of fitness but readily admitted later that he was expecting to get the first break and felt he'd be fine after a few hours sleep - that he could have had in the hotel hours before, but chose instead to stay in his home city and pax to start his duty as late as possible.

This is not uncommon on this particular sector. It's tiring enough even when you are well rested.

But given what you've described, I must have missed the Aviation Herald report about your experience.🤔...
I'm hoping to avoid an Av Herald report, not have a minor issue become an incident in a similar manner to how tiredness contributed to an A340 incident in Melbourne.

We don't (shouldn't) accept duties proposed by the airlines that don't allow sufficient rest, but some of our colleagues are prepared to impose this upon themselves and their colleagues.

Anyway I'm tiring of this conversation so I'll leave it at that!