PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - DONCASTER SHEFFIELD
View Single Post
Old 8th May 2017, 00:48
EGPO

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm not sure what the implications of the government review on regional airports will mean for DSA, but the airport now does seem to be making slow but steady growth.
Patience will see new airlines and routes eventually, Leeds approach I respect your love for LBA I as a child often flew from there and into adulthood with work on Knightair on one occasion.
But you cannot compare it to Doncaster in terms of surface access. Leeds is a nightmare , LBA is at the edge of a suburb with an absurd short D2 tunnel. North of which are hundreds if square miles of not very much.
LBS is crying out for a rail link but then ask yourself this , imagine a family with kids trying to manage luggage and kids on public transport.
Not going to happen - instead they will be sat in endless traffic risking a missed flight .
Or easier is an Hour run to either Manchester or for some routes DSA.
Both motorway connected both MUCH closer to a rail network and the latter quiet enough to be pretty much stress free.
I'm not knocking Leeds bit also it does suffer inclement weather even in summer. The runway is uphill.
Have you forgotten the Airtours Tristar that nearly became a serious disaster.
That airport simply put is in the wrong place.
There is no point in even touching the subject of Leeds East given it's proximity to DSA .
Perhaps much of Yorkshire's air travel issues are having LBA,DSA And HUY all in similar distances between.
Just the further East the less services are offered. Perhaps lobbying your MP for a proper response to how things could be sorted once and for all.
But DSA like it or not has the space and connectivity to far outbuild LBA .