PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - DONCASTER SHEFFIELD
View Single Post
Old 7th May 2017, 18:32
davidjpowell

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Harry Wayfarers
When transforming former military airfields in to regional airports that is invariably what one is going to get, p1ss poor transport. Just by the nature of the beast military air bases are often stuck out in the middle of nowhere, after all city folk don't want noisy aeroplanes flying past so unless one is going to build a brand new designer airport from scratch one is invariably stuck with it.

There are of course the odd exception to the rule such as the former RAF Horsham St. Faith which is right on the edge of Norwich.
I'm going to take exception to this. Doncaster is on the East Coast Mainline, on the A1, M18 and close to the M1. It has a bus service connecting with the train station (with a fast travel time), has a new approach road almost direct to to the M18, with work on the missing link starting shortly.

Compare this with Leeds, which involves any journey from the rail station / city centre along very busy roads - especially at peak times. The motorway stops at the City Centre - or you have to come in via a complicated route cross country.

I make no secret that to me Doncaster is far more convenient - it would be as it's 5 minutes from where I live (I like the new road!). But there are occasions when I cannot use DSA. For those I fly into Manchester, primarily because of it's superior transport links when compared to Leeds/Bradford.