PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Gaining An R.A.F Pilots Brevet In WW II
View Single Post
Old 7th May 2017, 14:40
Danny42C

Geriaviator (#10583),

Don't think "nerve agents" in WWII. "Germany did not use nerve agents against Allied targets" [Wiki]. And the "Zyklon B" used in the gas chambers was Prussic acid-soaked granules [Wiki].

For possible use at Alderney, I would have thought "Mustard" (in liquid form) the agent of choice. I have some slight knowledge of the stuff, as my 1340 Flight at Cannanore was set up to bomb and spray the stuff on the test sites of the Chemical Defence Research Establisment, itself a tropical off-shoot of Porton Down (which has been on the telly recently).

I spent my last year in India on that job. A drop of mustard left on the skin for twenty minutes will cause a third degree burn. The calculation after that is: Area of Body affected (in %) x Age = (%) Mortality. (Daughter, who is professionally skilled in these matters).

We dropped the stuff in 65lb tins (which burst open on impact), the Army volunteer "guinea pigs" marched about in the splashed ground to see how long it would take for it to soak through their Army boots (then the boffins developed dubbins to proof the leather). They tried out various designs of gas capes: we sprayed it on them low level. A gas cape was devised for a camel (still used as a draught animal in present Pakistan).

I suppose enough would have vaporised for them to need to wear gas masks (don't know, but should've asked) as I never visited the ranges (40 mi away). The tins (which we carried in the VV bomb bays) leaked a bit at the joints, the fumes came up to the cockpit via the "letter-box" slot in the floor. We always flew with canopies open.

Assad seems to have used "Sarin" on at least one occasion, but "Mustard" mostly.

Danny