PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BBVA Stop Funding Pilot Loans
View Single Post
Old 7th May 2017, 14:14
ManUtd1999

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Modular v Integrated is a difficult decision and has been discussed to death on here before. To suggest that people only choose integrated because they can't be bothered to wait and/or work is ridiculous.

I'd also remind people talking of the "good ol' days" that, whilst modular training may have been more common back then, a good chunk of todays pilots were also lucky enough to complete fully-sponsored integrated courses. If similar opportunities existed today then CTC/FTE/OAA wouldn't be able to charge the prices they do.

I hope that the price does fall over time, but as others have mentioned, it may yet be still to peak.
A couple of years ago CTC/OAA/FTE had a virtual monopoly. Opportunities for modular cadets were few and far between and other integrated schools all charged similar prices.

This has changed somewhat recently though. The likes of Kura Aviation and Wings Alliance have done a lot to make modular more attractive IMO and the job market has improved to the point where numerous airlines (TCX, Flybe etc) are now at least open to applications from modular cadets. Added to that, other schools (eg, Baltic Aviation) offer integrated training with airline placements at significantly lower prices (or rather, they haven't doubled their prices over the last 5-10 years).

I hope that this, combined with a reduction in available funding, could put some pressure on the big 3 to reduce prices and/or boost accessibility but overall it still seems unlikely.

Adding to the discussion, if the lack of financing does trigger a reduced number of wannabes applying, maybe the airlines will start to look at the "forgotten ones".
Hopefully we can all agree on that one.