PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BAe ATP. What was wrong with it?
View Single Post
Old 7th May 2017, 12:16
Preon

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Noah
Thanks for asking this question I travelled for many years on the ( BAR) ATP aircraft and often wondered about it's design genesis. From a pax perspective it replaced 1-11's on domestic routes so initially pure jet regulars on the MAN-GLA and BFS etc weren't very enthusiastic about 'props and vibration'.
Maybe someone could unveil it's dispatch punctuality figures that could be compared to other short haul types?

I must have travelled well into triple figures on the Belfast and Glasgow route over the years and usually sat at the rear where there seemed less noise vibration and occasionaly on the 'door- mounted' jump seat courtsey of the BAR flight crew who with the cabin crew certainly gave great customer service.
I can still remember some of their names , Fiona, Jan, Steve and Cormac many thanks you really were a lovely bunch as for the aircraft someone said earlier there are still many operational so it must have some positive points?

I once owned a Citroen 2CV which was a cold, noisy uncomfortable critter but I now look back at it now as the most fun motor I ever owned perhaps with the passage of time my feelings about the much maligned ATP have softened?
As a footnote to turbo prop design heritage maybe the Woodford Avro Museum will one day be able to add a 748 / ATP to it's collection?

Last edited by Preon; 7th May 2017 at 23:42.