PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Commuting Qantas 787 and other types
View Single Post
Old 7th May 2017, 11:23
Ida down

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by BPA
As Keg touched on, unless rules are put in place around want you can't do before a duty (which would be impossible to do) then the whole issue about commuting and it's affect on fatigue is a dead argument.

Let's say we have a pilot is based in Sydney and lives on the Gold Coast and only a 10min easy drive to the airport. Allowing for their drive to the airport, check in time and flight time to Sydney their commute time would be around 2 hours. 1 hour of this commute time would be spent relaxing/sleeping on the flight down.
Now what if we have another pilot also based in Sydney and they live in Newcastle (or the southern highlands). Their drive to work on the best of days will be 2-3 hours, plus they have to put up with parking issues at the Blue Emu.
The pilot who has to drive 2-3 hours doesn't get the chance to relax/sleep like the pilot living on the Gold Coast does.
So which one is going to feel less tired (fatigued) at the start of their duty and after at the end of their duty?
Absolutely. When flying I lived at Mount Macedon and on a 0530 sign on, (after a night with a screaming, teething two year old, and a four year old who wanted endless glasses of water, to the point of me considering bringing a slow dripping hose into her bed) I was already stuffed. Early sign on made me shell out for a cheap motel near the airport, so I was at least not comotose, on sign on. It was worth every cent.