PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Wing down during final approach.
View Single Post
Old 7th May 2017, 09:25
9 lives

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Welcome Joe,

Chuck, whom I know as a very experienced pilot of many types, may have been highlighting the reality that different techniques are appropriate (or not) for different types.

Yes, I can imagine the "wing down" method may be undesirable for a Harrier, wiping off outriggers and all. However, in a floatplane, it's vital. If you contact the water crabbed in a floatplane, you're probably going to roll it upside down in the water. However touching a float plane on one float only, aligned with the "runway", and holding it in that attitude as needed, is no problem at all. In my flying boat (perhaps not unlike a Harrier in that way only), I'd dig in a wingtip float doing that. In my tricycle Cessna, I'm quite content to use either method to the surface, though the crabbed method will cost me more rubber.

Takeoff in a floatplane is surprisingly easier in a crosswind, when one float is lifted out as soon as practical. Half the water drag instantly, and a feeling like a push from behind.

Thus it's important to have these discussions, to have pilots consider as much as possible in making their technique choices.

It is important that pilots gain an understanding of both crosswind techniques, and thereafter any practical limitations, and preferences for the type they are flying.