PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Forced landing. Florida 20th April
View Single Post
Old 6th May 2017, 09:11
[email protected]

Received 623 Likes on 271 Posts
Even in an R44 which if flared like a high inertia machine can touch down at minimal ground speed even in calm air, I find people tend to (unconsciously?) try to use aft cyclic to minimize the slide. I try to stress with students that they can move the stick left and right all they want, but once they feel the skids touch, fore/aft is verboten.

I've also become aware that some schools teach their students to rapidly lower collective during the slide, and I know Bell recommends you not leave the collective up during the slide, but I'm reluctant to slam the collective down - I'd rather the blades stay coned until the aircraft stops bouncing around (and I'm worried about digging the skids in if I bottom the collective too quickly). I know I'll get some people telling me I'm wrong to not immediately lower collective once you touch down.
with you 100% on that Paul, we had to get student QHIs to a level where we could send them off 'solo' for a mutal EOLs sortie on the CFS course and many of them hadn't flown the Gazelle since basic training. Using aft cyclic during the run on was a great way to smack the tail in (thank goodness for the frangible fairing) and dumping the collective was an equally good way of burying the nose (ripping the pitot off in the process).