PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Unintended 457 consequences could ground airlines
Old 6th May 2017, 00:24
Ixixly

Received 29 Likes on 15 Posts
Jonkster, I've only worked in GA myself so obviously bonding is something that doesn't happen but the Airlines I believe employ a bond for training, can anyone enlighten us as to how they handle this sort of situation?

I'd suggest there will be unscrupulous employers who try to take advantage of this sort of thing, they'll inflate the cost of "Training" and when they get rid of someone reap the rewards of doing so by having them pay back a ridiculous amount of money. But this is not really any different to Pay or Condition issues already existing in GA, we have a balance in play through the Fair Work Ombudsman, it would be a "relatively" simple case of someone complaining that they been unfairly Bonded, the Fair Work Ombudsman would require a break down of how the Employer came to their costs of the training and this would show whether it has been done fairly or not.

In the first creation of such an amendment to the Pilots Award allowing for Bonding, I'm certain guidelines would be created after some industry consultation on the types of costs that can be included and fair amounts that can be charged and what for.

I'm in agreeance with Raptor though, Bonds would be kept for things that would have once been classified as "Endorsements". Your initial training is fairly comprehensive and covers you for most Basic Singles, training for that in a new company can be accomplished on the job in ICUS, but more complex endorsements that require seperate and independent Training Flights because of demonstration of Emergency Procedures for example should be costs that can be covered under it.

Of course it would not be as simple as a statement in the Pilots Award that Bonding is legal or some such, it would require a fair amount of industry consultation as to what costs they believe should be able to be included and then decisions made based on what the majority want and what is fair, but in the end it would be an advantage for all I believe. Employers gain trust in the knowledge that if they take on new guys and offer to train them they have a lowered risk and Employees now have greater access to people willing to give them a go without all the upfront costs.