PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Two advantages of a plotting chart?
View Single Post
Old 5th May 2017, 13:27
RAT 5

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm not arguing either for or against plotting charts; but I do admit to being more a pencil & rubber guy than smart pone & iPad for visual presentations. I do like white board briefing in the sim rather than PPT's.
However, a plotting chart saved my bacon, once. A few days after a trans-Atlantic, W-E, I was called by CP to say that Canadian ATC were investigating a non-compliance with a climb instruction. We had entered NAT airspace, on HF, and ATC claimed we had been given a climb NOW from FL330 - FL350. But they said we did not comply. They included the time & Lat/Long of that ATC instruction.
I pulled my flight envelope and plotting chart. I found we, indeed, crossed the next Longitude at FL350, but the claim was we did not execute the climb immediately. First thought was, if they could see us on radar to notice we were still FL330 why could they not try & reach us on 121.5 or NAT chat frequency, or even SELCAL HF. I checked our plotting chart for position reports. This gave time, levels, ETA's. I could calculate our ground speed. My conclusion was that at the time of the alleged ATC instruction we were 20mins & 180nm east of the position they gave in their report. Thus it wasn't me M'Lud. Case closed, well for me anyway.
Can you store the 'plotting chart' in an iPad? Is it printed out on landing? What does go in the flight envelope? However, a piece of paper made my day.