PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Nimrod MR4 vs P8
View Single Post
Old 5th May 2017, 10:08
engineer(retard)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by PDR1
The real question is whether, after the introduction of the new standards, it would have been possible to generate the required documentation then.

The advice I'm given by members of the project team who are still colleagues is "yes, there were no fundamental blockers, although it would have cost quite a lot".

But of course at that time (late 2010) the Harier, Tornado, Typhoon and various helicopters didn't meet sthe subsequent regulations either.

PDR
The answer to your first question is that it is always possible to generate documentation, provided you have the underpinning evidence to document.

In 2010 there was no money in the MoD, we were deep in the Dwang. Projects were being asked to give up money, a request for more would have been unwelcome.

There was no immediate need for legacy programmes to meet the regulations but new projects had to meet it in full. I don't have first hand knowledge of the MRA4 either but Haddon Cave was likely casting a long shadow across the validity of any read across from earlier versions of the platform.

I also disagree with some elements of your civil/ military support concept. It is much easier and cheaper to run aircraft that have large fleets and a worldwide market to buy spares from. Although, I do accept the military usage spectrum does drive specific design requirements that preclude picking up an airframe in its entirety.