PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - SOUTHEND 5
Thread: SOUTHEND 5
View Single Post
Old 5th May 2017, 08:16
cumbrianboy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sorry Harry I have to disagree.

I wasn't thinking of Ryanair when I said that, I was being realistic in what SENs role is in the South East.

Mentioned wide bodies is laughable, SEN will never attract that. STN has tried and failed many times, it is just not what SEN is about.

The runway width, yes it restricts the airport slightly, but my point is, that does not make a material impact to the overall picture of SEN. I know there are some on here that think SEN should develop into a massive multinational airport, but the hard and fast reality is, whilst it may serve London, it is still a regional airport and will remain such. Sooner or later either Heathrow or Gatwick will get a second runway, and soak up a ton of additional airline capacity, and SEN will always be the 6th airport of London - it's just a fact. I'm not dismissing or criticising SEN at all, just being realistic.

So, going back to my points earlier, the fact the SEN isn't CAT III is fine, because even it it was, it wouldn't change anything in terms of the potential of SEN. A longer runway won't make the airport any more attractive to airlines.

Trust me when I say, airlines do NOT chose airports to operate from on the basis of the facilities they have. Jet2 did not go to STN because they had a longer runway and CAT III capabilities.

If an airline needed a 2,500m+ runway then for the type of operation they will be looking at their options will be LHR or LGW, or at a push, STN. SEN wouldn't feature on their radar, even if it had a 3,000-4,000m runway!

Airlines go to the airport where the demand is, and SEN will always be the 6th airport in London ...

That said, I genuinely think SEN is doing well and will continue to do well in the future and like I said I am not dismissing SEN, but I think the airport is doing the right thing to develop what it has and make it work for the type of operation it is suited to and not spend money on project for which it won't get a return