PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Has Joyce forgotten how to count? The end of ME transits?
Old 5th May 2017, 03:30
Tuck Mach

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
According to page 43 of the 2016 Data Sheet:
The Qantas passenger fleet size was 191 (including QantasLink, but excluding Network which numbered an additional 14).
The Jetstar fleet size was 93 (including Jetstar Asia).

So the actual truth seems to be that the Qantas fleet increased by 3, plus another 14 for Network. Network has been (or is being) rebranded and repainted QantasLink.

The Jetstar fleet (including Jetstar Asia) increased by at most 57, or more probably 53 if the 2008 figure did not include Jetstar Asia.
Fair point Fred, Perhaps I ought point out that there are multiple sources of data, which is why the crosscheck needs to be done.
Let us delve into the Qantas data book, data they provide by choice.

Under AASB128, associate entities are those where substantial influence exists but not control. Those familiar with the JQ HK decision will recall that control of the operation did not rest in HK. It was despite Jayne's protest found to reside in Coward Street.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...-from-the-city

Given the JQ Asia fleet wasn't purchased by Dennis Choo, nor was JQ Pacific or Japan, despite associate entity status, and equity accounting the 'investment' aircraft can and likely are sourced by Qantas and 'leased' perhaps at a surprisingly generous rate to the foreign owned entity...
This is why the accounting standard (with respect to treatment of leasing exposure) alignment due next year will be be fascinating...

Therefore adding

JQ Japan 21
JQ pacific 14

To the JQ fleet Qantas tell you about of 93 aircraft gets us 128. A rapid increase from when Joyce assumed control in 2008.

I am not seeing an net increase of three aircraft for Qantas mainline., Of course you need to subtract the aircraft operated by Cobham and Jetconnect, which Qantas choose to include in their data book .My count suggests a numerical decline in the Qantas mainline fleet and former colleagues are probably still feeling the effects of a lost decade or so..Respectfully Fred though I take the point