PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - How many hours should I put to side after passing.
Old 4th May 2017, 19:48
alex90

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
When doing above 150 hours a year, ownership is more advisable than charter.
In my experience, and calculations, although obviously greatly depending on the fraction of ownership, type of aeroplane etc... I have found that the break-even point is often lower than 70 hours per year compared to UK club rates (including mortgage (of around £10k over 5 years) per annum costs at current interest rates). In fact the Arrow that I fly vs a club that I am a member of at a different airfield, the break even is actually 35 hours per year!

I am calculating this with all in costs, membership of club + 35 tacho hours rental versus £10k share in same year Arrow paid over 5 year mortgage, insurance, maintenance, parking, annual, 50 hour checks, engine fund, incidental cover...etc... Split between 4.

Huh. I'd have put these the other way round
haha - i agree entirely!!

I think those figures are a little high for taking somebody else CH (unless you mean you are chartering?)

I suggest that you plan 50 hours more or less equally spaced throughout a year, to maintain, and slowly build your skills.
I like that number, 1 hour per week, generally keeps you happy! I also do emergency training by myself at least once a month, and with an instructor at least once every 2 months!

Last edited by alex90; 4th May 2017 at 19:49. Reason: saw step turn's response