PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - SOUTHEND 5
Thread: SOUTHEND 5
View Single Post
Old 4th May 2017, 16:38
cumbrianboy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi LTNman

The TODA figure is important but it's also the 'second sector climb performance' which is the phase of takeoff after the TODA (screen height - 35' for a turbine aircraft on departure) to the point where the aircraft accelerates.

As someone said earlier at LTN it's essentially unobstructed and the same is true for SEN on 05

But 23 has a number of obstacles (I think mainly trees from memory) which mean aircraft are required to achieve a minimum climb gradient which they must be able to manage single engine - hence the quite restricted performance from runway 23.

For us we often would find that a slight tailwind on 05 was less limiting than the equivalent headwind on 23!

However, I don't think it's a major issue for operators out of SEN certainly on the Airbus, for the sort of operations they would want to attract.

Things that limit performance are high temperatures or low QNH. In order to achieve the climb they have to restrict the takeoff weight. It's why very occasionally the Airbus stops for extra fuel on the way to the canaries.

The 738 on the hand has an issue landing and stopping I believe, but having never flown it wouldn't like to say for certain.