PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - SAR S-92 Missing Ireland
View Single Post
Old 4th May 2017, 15:54
SASless

Received 516 Likes on 215 Posts
DB.....you Dog, you!

61, two pilots, all that lovely kit.....an aotopilot of sorts as I recall....sheer luxury! When we was Young Lads we used to dream of having someone to hold our hands!

Now in the S-58T and Wessex fleets....with no autopilot and the same kit you mention that I remember so fondly.....we held our own hands being single pilot!

I suffered with that same Decca (Mk 19 was it?) and the wonderful scroll map stuck together with cellotape with the adhesive properties of Post-It Glue....that ran away every time there was a hint of static in the air....or you really....really needed it ! That was along about 1979 that I was getting the same trade of luck for experience.....that you were getting yours in the 1990's speaks of how technology change has improved over the years.

But....your point is taken...the more things change the more they stay the same!

Usually if we flew into something in those days we had a lot of help doing it by the absence of help in not doing it.

Today, perhaps we have too much help out of complexity and systemic errors.....and we still run into things we should not.

Managing all this fancy kit and seeing it is being fed accurate data and being given correct inputs is where the rub comes.

Every one of us can fall prey to undesired outcomes.

Hopefully, we will see some positive improvements out of this tragedy!