PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - SAR S-92 Missing Ireland
View Single Post
Old 4th May 2017, 14:44
DOUBLE BOGEY

Received 18 Likes on 4 Posts
SAS, may I be so bold as to suggest you have missed the salient point.......why 200 feet so far from the destination?

Also the P1 must have had some idea what was around the aircraft to support the comment that was made when they had the RADALT alerts.

To be fair to crew at this stage we should assume they did not actually fly over any red blobs at 200 feet, despite the RADALT warnings. They do not make a clear mention of the red blob that should have been painting for Black Rock.

I guess for me the Map and EGPW Database is way down the list because the regulations clearly state it shall not be used for terrain avoidance.

To place waypoints over an obstacle(s) and then make a route out of it, it begs the question for what purpose exactly was the route intended to serve? A letdown, by any sense of the word, implies you cannot see the ground sufficiently to fly by visual means. It would therefore need to have both horizontal and vertical profiles clearly defined. I have not seen the full procedure for this approach so I do not know if this information is prescribed.

It is a terrible event and likely to have some serious repercussions in the industry about how data is interpreted and the formal priorities that should be given to the systems available in the cockpit.

If memory serves me correctly there was an FSI released by the same Operator just a few years back that demanded crews prioritise the FMS Waypoint ICON in favour of the RADAR return. Needless to say the boys and girls in the cockpit laughed it into extinction but not without some resistance from above.

This could be an example of what goes wrong when assumptions are made and poor cockpit paperwork is generated by desk jockeys and the weight and volume of garbage in the cockpit creates so much white noise that the wood cannot be seen from the trees.