PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Has Joyce forgotten how to count? The end of ME transits?
Old 4th May 2017, 13:03
Derfred

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
In the same period the 'empire' threw 80 odd aircraft at JQ, growing it from 36 aircraft. They cut 80 odd from Qantas.

(my bold)
Tuck Mach, you have pedalled this "statistic" numerous times now, in numerous threads on this and other forums, without any substantiation.

Do you actually believe this to be true, or are you subscribing to the trendy alternative facts philosophy that if you state an untruth over and over again, it becomes true?

Now, I am no apologist for management in their infatuation with the Orange star at the expense of the core product, but quoting gross untruths detracts from your argument and your credibility.

According to page 23 of the 2008 Annual Report:
The Qantas passenger fleet size was 188 (including QantasLink).
The Jetstar fleet size was 36 (no mention of whether that included Jetstar Asia, which numbered 4 - the way the report was structured implied that it did not).

According to page 43 of the 2016 Data Sheet:
The Qantas passenger fleet size was 191 (including QantasLink, but excluding Network which numbered an additional 14).
The Jetstar fleet size was 93 (including Jetstar Asia).

So the actual truth seems to be that the Qantas fleet increased by 3, plus another 14 for Network. Network has been (or is being) rebranded and repainted QantasLink.

The Jetstar fleet (including Jetstar Asia) increased by at most 57, or more probably 53 if the 2008 figure did not include Jetstar Asia.

Edit: Jetstar Asia has grown from 4 to 18 in the same period I believe - I have no official source for that. So the Jetstar AU/NZ operation would appear to have increased from 36 to 75, a growth of 39. This includes the Bombardiers sent over from Qantaslink to Jetstar NZ. Jetstar Japan is not included in any of the figures. I believe Jetstar Japan has 20. That would bring the global Jetstar increase to 73 (or possibly 77).

If you just want to talk Qantas (not QantasLink and associated subsidiaries), the fleet has increased from 124 to 126, an increase of 2. That's 737's and larger.

Regards, Fred

Last edited by Derfred; 4th May 2017 at 13:55.