PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Will demographics kill IR?
View Single Post
Old 4th May 2017, 04:51
fearcampaign

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SWH,

Your actually incorrect too.
It was the workplace Relations act of 1996 that allowed Jetconnect to start. AWA's came about in a "take it or leave it" manner under this 1996 framework as did other changes in workplace legislation. AIPA also did SFA to oppose it at the time either.
These laws were strenthened in 2005 with work choices however they were not non existent pre 2005 as your incorrectly illuding too.
The Labor Party removed these in 2009 with the fair work act.
After the lockout Qantas forced AIPA to binding arbitration by the FULL bench of the fair work commission. The entire bench found the amended agreement to be fair and reasonable. Unanimously.
But I'd argue Qantas pilots as a collective group would be gold medalists in blowing a negotiation amid a global pilot shortage.
Even a "fake news" threat is enough to have pilots offering up limbs to sign a deal from FOMO even if it's lies or rumour from a so called nameless "manager".
I'd hazard a guess the next SH EA that may possibly include A320 replacements will be a blood bath for pilots and a massive win for Qantas.
They are smarter, less arrogant, better at negotiations and understand that pilots will sell their first born for a new jet. Pilots are uniquely weak industrially. Say 89 and half of SH would s($& themselves.
Despite global salaries increasing in first world airlines they will be headed south in OZ domestically.
Here's how it will happen. QF will say If you don't fly it for xxxxx then xxxxx will fly it. Even I f they can't do it legally, that will not matter.
Pilots/AIPA will roll over and deal done.
It's Harder to take sweets from children. Wish it were not the case but sadly it is.
You don't need IR to hold a gun. You'll have pilots lined up volunteering to pull the trigger on themselves.