Thread: CARDIFF - 2
View Single Post
Old 3rd May 2017, 21:17
OldAirportMan

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Qatar experts

Originally Posted by AirGuru
Severn,

I know no more than what is in the public domain regarding this specific route at the moment, it's a piece of theory/speculation.

I also know a lot more about the Cardiff Airport core catchment and Long-Haul catchment area (Yes, they are different) than what i can openly write about on a public forum, so it's not in your interests to challenge me on that. Same goes for the entirety of the Cardiff City Region.

Cardiff has a growing prestige, and is a Capital city. The fastest growing city in the whole of the UK you know. Look at what South Wales has hosted in recent years, NATO Conference, Ryder Cup, Champions League Final this Summer ? Is it not right for QR wanting a piece of the fastest growing city in the UK ? I think not ... Who would have thought Iberia Express would have launched MAD this year ? It's the city of the unexpected as Roald Dahl once put it.

Take it for what it is, it's happening. Live with it, move on. Cheers !
I imagine you are Spencer in disguise again ... known for different personas in this forum. To claim there's no subsidy involved here is quite ridiculous. CWL as a whole is heavily supported by the taxpayer ... everything about it is subsidised. I would not be surprised if you were to say that no airport or handling charges, free offices, disappearing fees and loads of free advertising under your marketing budget do not constitute a subsidy. Oh yeah?

However, the question is whether it's worth it to Wales. If CWL can produce a masterplan that takes it not only back over the 2.1 million pax of 10 years ago but really looks to improving its sliding-downwards position of 20th in the UK (how about 12th or better?) then throwing money at it may be a great idea.

Last edited by OldAirportMan; 3rd May 2017 at 21:29.