PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Vampire rips up runway...
View Single Post
Old 3rd May 2017, 15:16
SpazSinbad

Received 53 Likes on 46 Posts
'Buster the Bear' I'm missing to what you refer. 800 meters? Off the top of my dome NAS Nowra had 6,250 foot runways which were OK for even A4G ops (NATOPS required 6,000 foot runways as a minimum). However the Nowra runways are in a bowl with the intersection of the cross runways in the middle of that bowl so RW26 (main) 08 went downhill then uphill whilst runway 03 was all uphill so RW21 was all downhill - PHEW.

The length of Pearce runways I would have to look up however the main runway was more than adequate. The second parallel runway was built after the Vampires were no more.

OK I guess you refer to the UK HaPennyGreen runway? 'The struggle to climb' is the Vampire staying low to gain speed in case of an engine failure after take off (see diagrams at start of this thread). Apparently this warbird does not have a functioning ejection seat so even more imperative to gain speed to carry out a turn back (on a cross runway is easier) in case of engine failure. This kind of take off was standard practice for Vampires AFAIK.

Go to page two this thread for 'turn back' details: http://www.pprune.org/military-aviat...ml#post9758276