PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Unintended 457 consequences could ground airlines
Old 3rd May 2017, 12:46
De_flieger

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts
Were would Air Whitsundays pilots be based?
There's a clue in the name
But somewhere around Airlie Beach / Shute Harbour area in the Whitsundays region I'd say - North Queensland coast, if you arent familiar with the area. Flying a floatplane and all the backpackers you can handle...tough life! From their website it looks like a few of their pilots have been there a few years, their "Crew" page has a few brief bios. I'm guessing the tourist industry is fairly busy all year round, though less so through a couple of months of the wet season.

From the perspective of someone looking to work at a hypothetical floatplane operator that can only offer 6-8 months work out of a year, it sounds like a very insecure lifestyle. Good luck finding another employer so you can eat and pay rent for the other 6 months of the year, especially in one of the most expensive cities on Earth, when the second mob know that after a month or two of training they get 4 months useful work out of you then you return to the floatplane operator - or you stay with the second operator, and the floatplane operator is back to square one looking for another pilot prepared to sign up for a 6 month season. Now if a hypothetical operator offered enough pay in 8 months working that there was an effective full year's salary once 4 months unpaid leave was taken into account as part of the conditions of employment, I think there would be no shortage of pilots at all!

That would be a market based solution to a market based problem, which is something managers love when there's a glut of pilots, but don't like at all when there's a pilot shortage, so they turn to the politicians and newspaper columnists.