PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Eyesight Req- Why?
View Single Post
Old 28th Aug 2003, 02:25
MajorMadMax

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Runaway
"It went on to mention that certain US aviators and Special Forces guys had been allowed to undertake this laser treatment, and that they had all returned to work with AT LEAST 20/20 vision. Now my memory is fading, but I believe it said that some had 40/20 vision (ie. Twice as good as standard). "
I had PRK done courtesy of the USAF in Dec 2001, and tested 20/15 last Saturday (I think 20/10 would be twice as good as standard, it means you see at 20 feet what the average person sees at 10). Keep in mind I am currently a "young" man of 40 and am not on flying status, but have buds who are and have had the same surgery with similar results and are still qualified. These are fast-mover aircrews as well, F-15Es and B-1s, but they were already on flight status when they had the surgery.

Back when I had my procedure done the USAF was only allowing PRK, but I have heard rumors that either it or LASIK are acceptable. Again I don't know if that is only for the general populous or aircrews, but originally there was concerns over the "flap" that LASIK leaves and PRK doesn't. A Google search on 'PRK versus LASIK' reveals most doctors are favoring the latter, but most likely due to the quicker recovery rate and reduced pain involved. For most people the flap is not an issue...

Cheers! M2