PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Vampire rips up runway...
View Single Post
Old 3rd May 2017, 08:15
SpazSinbad

Received 53 Likes on 46 Posts
FARRKK!!! as we used to say. :-) One of the best early days at Pearce (did not use RAAF in those days I think but they do now so excuse) and there were lots because for one we graduated to wings standard (then the NAVY provisional wings had to be authenticated with a deck landing - which for me took ages). But hey - made it. Anyhoo back to the day the VULCANS took off one early winter morning (we were there from mid 1968 to the end of the year - see the 50th thread for more details). Sadly we were a long way away on the flight line at the other end of the airfield as these monsters trundled off with a great roar belching black smoke. I've since lost my pathetic wide angle photos with them as tiny dots highlighted by the smoke. IF you follow the link to RAN FAAAA page you will find a PDF or two just about Vampires - these PDFs have the info you see here.

I was 19 years old (as most cadets were approx.) during the flying training year with the RAAF turning 20 just before graduation in Dec 1968.