PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - ultralight pilot convicted of reckless flying
Old 3rd May 2017, 01:24
Ex FSO GRIFFO

Received 45 Likes on 20 Posts
Originally Posted by onetrack
Sunfish, I don't know where you're coming from. Are you saying that any pilot can indulge in lying, in reckless behaviour, in behaviour that puts other people lives at serious risk (pax and SAR people) - and yet they should not face any court, pay any penalties, nor suffer any retribution?

Laws are in place to govern the behaviour of people in our society so that other innocent people are not inconvenienced, don't suffer loss or injury themselves, and public property is not damaged, and the families and health/other govt systems are not overloaded with major cost burdens, that are often the result of stupid behaviour and recklessness.

This bloke set out on a deliberate course of highly risky action, operating beyond his own, and his aircrafts limits, and indulged in lying and ignoring of valuable advice not to carry out his plan - and the end result was an expensive SAR effort, costing a great deal of $$$'s and also possibly putting rescuers lives at risk.

Some people are just born stupid, and have to keep learning the hard way, by doing stupid things. I'd have to opine this bloke is a member of that group.

Yes, he did incur a heavy response from authorities, and it has cost him dearly. However, there is a carrot-and-stick approach to all education in life, and when you choose to operate in highly regulated environment, you can expect resultant penalising action if you wilfully choose to disobey those laws and regulations pertaining to the area you operate in.

If I drive out along a superb new highway, running for dozens of kilometres, straight, and with seemingly no dangers, can I floor it and hit the maximum speed limit my vehicle is capable of? - and expect only some "re-education", if I'm caught doing 50kms an hour over the limit??
No, I get my vehicle seized and impounded, because it is deemed "reckless driving".

This is the way the world works, and Shayde Hector has learnt a very hard and expensive lesson, that the result of recklessness is serious penalties.
Geez Mr O,
That description could apply to any of those 'around the world' yacht races.....remember the famous rescue of one Mr Bullimore waaay down in the Southern Ocean by the RAN..??
These people did not even have insurance to cover such rescue costs, so it was reported at the time.....

And yet......"the end result was an expensive SAR effort, costing a great deal of $$$'s and also possibly putting rescuers lives at risk."

As you so eloquently stated......And there were NIL 'penalties'........

Cheers