PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Very Quick Question regarding passengers
View Single Post
Old 2nd May 2017, 23:29
Crash one

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Perhaps one of the not very clever things I did once.
At a flyin a fire crew had been invited to attend, for their experience as well as our safety.
One of this crew mentioned that he had never been airborne in anything in his life, wouldn't even go on holiday. Several of his mates said "this is just the place to try it"
Upshot was I offered but that the decision would be entirely his, no pressure from me, and left him to it.
Probably after some ribbing from his mates he said "ok let's go for it"
I told him what was about to happen, what not to grab if he was worried. He looked a bit nervous as we taxied out. So was I, he was six feet plus, built like a brick outbuilding, half my age. We took off with him trying not to look scared ****less.
Within ten minutes he was taking photos and texting his wife.
A few minutes later he asked what would happen if the engine cut, I told him what I was doing and closed the throttle, pointed out the glide angle, he understood that we would reach Crail no problem.
He then flew the thing while I took his picture, then he managed to fly back to the circuit where I did the rest.
A very happy man.
I've known a lot of firemen in my days, I used to be one, and they are not the sort to panic in a crisis. So it was an educated calculated risk.