PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Vampire rips up runway...
View Single Post
Old 2nd May 2017, 22:04
SpazSinbad

Received 53 Likes on 46 Posts
FWIW yonks ago I wrote this text for ADF-serials.com and provided them with the map as seen in this two page PDF attached. https://www.faaaa.asn.au/spazsinbad-a4g/
"“RAAF Series 2 - ADF Aircraft Serial Numbers | A78, A79 and N6. De Havilland DH-100/DH-115 RAAF / RAN Vampire | A79-653 4175 T.35 According to aircraft status card aircraft "crashed, exploded and burned whilst on a training flight" 21/01/66 1AFTS Pearce WA.” : ADF-Serials Vampire
“Briefly the story is that due to the known precesssion of the Vampire Attitude Indicator during the Takeoff Run, it was known to allow for that by — after liftoff at night — to fly with about a five degree to port attitude, with nose slightly higher than usual for climb. This overrode the precession which — if followed — would cause the aircraft to fly as Hammond did — to the right and down. All Vampire students (pretending IMC/night) were shown this effect by flying towards the hills (with instructor) during the day after an instrument T/O on RW36. The Vampire aircraft all pointed towards to the same black spot in the hills to the east of airfield (if following AI).”
Hammond initials? Dunno. Two dates are given but I do not know correct date - 20 or 21 Jan 1966. Probably the discrepancy relates to night flying which could go after midnight at Pearce during these years. My first night solo was after midnight then next day bright & early back to bidness. I think my 'B' flight had ground school in morning then flying in arvo.

Attached Files