PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Future Carrier (Including Costs)
View Single Post
Old 2nd May 2017, 17:57
MSOCS

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
KenV,

That wisdom resonates with me also. It is archaic, dis-Joint and frankly ridiculous to view the aircraft onboard as purely weapon systems of the ship, to be used solely at the behest and whim of the Captain and his team. The Captain is the head of the ship (or MTG if roled as Cdre) and responsible for the 600+ souls on board; he directs and empowers his people to carry out their duties. Such duties are ensuring flying operations can be conducted safely. Without those on duty, not a wheel would turn. The same could be argued for an airfield, quite easily. The difference is the environment - at sea everything is trying to kill you as an aviator, and when you least expect it, but I know you know this only too well (this is to try and help those that don't!)

PersonalIy, I don't subscribe wholly to the simplistic 'floating airfield' derisory remark but there undeniable similarities: The role of the carrier is to get the aircraft where required, able to conduct their missions (which might well be to protect the MTG!); it's why they carry the aircraft - but ultimately those aircraft are at the end of a line of enablers. The jets and helicopters do it all at higher speeds, and, when needed, with a large bang at the end. The critical bit is to in no way stymie the aircraft's capabilities and role through misuse, poor understanding and appreciation, ignorance or Service pettiness. That helps nobody, weakens the end product, and puts everyone backwards not forwards.

Instead it just needs to get done. Together. Jointly. Ignoring the dinosaurs of the past (even the recent past), because those dinosaurs clearly demonstrate zero understanding of the capability at all, especially when one reads some of the spiteful tosh they complain about to the various Ministers and News columns.

So, rant off (sorry!) and let's get cracking. It'll be what we make it.