PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Dodgy or legit?
Thread: Dodgy or legit?
View Single Post
Old 2nd May 2017, 15:41
xrayalpha

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
NYBM asked:

"Disgruntled wingly passengers can threaten to...?"

They can take you to the small claims court!

The back story is this:

Chap comes to airfield in camper van for a trial flying lesson with his son-in-law. Parks camper van, comes out with a dog, which is not on a lead.

Asked kindly to pop a lead on the dog.

"Why?"

- I have seen two dogs hit by propellors. I don't want to see a third. Trouble is, they just can't see a turning prop.

"Well, of course they can't see it."

- So if you just pop a lead on the dog?

"It is not my dog!"

- Well, it came in the camper with you, it got out of the camper with you, so if you just put it back in the camper.

"Why should I?"

- Well, apart from anything else, I own the airfield and the flying school. I am asking you to. And if you don't, you are showing you are unable to obey safety instructions and so you aren't going for a flight."

Conversation carried on like this for quite a while, eventually I said you can have your money back and cheerio. He took the refund and headed off.

I then got a small claims court action for the cost of his fuel for the camper. About £50, plus £20-odd in fees.

Ended up paying it because I couldn't be arsed rescheduling the court date to avoid conflict with holidays! But forgot to do some registration thingy so had a "bad debt" registered against me - and not the company! - for five years ! !

Commercial pressures only exist in big jet land? Ha!

You try dealing with trial flying lessoners!