PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Will demographics kill IR?
View Single Post
Old 2nd May 2017, 08:43
framer

Received 480 Likes on 129 Posts
I grew up on a farm that my father owned. We had two farm workers who each had a house provided as part of their salaries. When I was about 17 years old and times were tough for farmers I was asking my dad questions about our income and expenditure and debt repayments ( interest rates about 15%) and I voiced my opinion that we weren't going so well and what was the point? He thought that in the long run it would be worth it but told me that even if it didn't make him a million bucks ( turns out it was more like five), at least we would have provided several families with a house to raise their kids in a nice rural community.
That concept, that idea that a business is more than just a vehicle to enrich the capital investors, that a business supports communities and feeds the childeren of the workers is important and I'm sure people much smarter than me have named it and written books on it but it's really quite simple. The business has to be hard-nosed enough to remain in existence and turn a profit long term but it also should aim to be a good community member. The current economic structure of global competition and quarterly reporting to the market makes this difficult but eventually we will need to head back in this direction lest the masses rise up.....I think they're already starting to ( Brexit & Trump.)
Edited to add that the above was in response to the AA article.