PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Report says Pilot struck female passenger
Old 2nd May 2017, 01:35
rottenray

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by tdracer
In what reality is it correct for the first person to simply "walk on by" and make no effort to stop the serious bodily harm being attempted?
That some of you seem to think "walk on by" was the correct response says a lot about you, and it's not positive...
Best post so far.

To those of you saying "walk" is the best way to handle this, how would you feel if your spouse, daughter, or sig other had been the one under attack?

Shall we all just walk by?

And to the person who said let the cat fight die of it's own accord... That's rather sexist. Men damage each other bludgeoning with fists, women sometimes cause eye injuries that either take years to heal or never do.

People should never hurt one another, and if you have a chance to stop it, you should.

Part of the problem with public behavior in this reprehensible modern era is that we assume that all problems are somebody else's.

Would I have walked past that?

No.

I would have done something similar, perhaps trying to space them apart a bit first.

But when you see something like this going on in public, you should try to bring those involved back to decorous behavior.

If you walk past and ignore, you've lost all civility.

I'm not playing this card in full, but think about WWII and the effect of just ignoring wrongs right in front of you.

The context IS an operating captain of a scheduled air carrier flight. He rendered himself unfit for further flight duty until such time as pilot management assessed all the circumstances. He is not airline or airport security. He has to be in the right frame of mind to fly the next leg.
It was up to airport security to prevent this or quell it before the captain of whatever airline had to intercede. You're basically saying that duty to fly supersedes social responsibility.

I'd hate to think that any responsible, experienced captain would behave differently because he'd just exited an aircraft. And I'd hate to think that any of them would, because they're pilots, just walk past this situation.

You're basically saying " all this, I'm a pilot, let someone else handle it."

Worth pondering, I think.