PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - SAR S-92 Missing Ireland
View Single Post
Old 1st May 2017, 11:49
SASless

Received 516 Likes on 215 Posts
Crab,

What if you use one of the SAR modes to make an approach to BKSDC (or some similar point convenient to Blacksod) using a northeasterly heading along the long axis of the inlet?

One could incorporate Blackrock as an IAP at which descent from the MSA could be initiated....that would have been pretty much a crosswind approach and a final turn at "C" for the run-in to Blacksod.

No one seems willing to discuss what options are available to a CHC SAR crew flying the 92 with its first rate Avionics!

I have opined that this flight was operating using old fashioned techniques. If some knowledgeable person can point out the fallacy of my thinking on this Ui am quite willing to listen to what they have to say.

Absent that input....I am going to stick with my thoughts.

The other Crew (118) appears to have done something different on two occasions that night than did 116.

We don't know what it was as it was not set forth by the preliminary report.

We do not know what the weather was for 118 on the approaches and landings either.

My basic question is simple....Do the CHC Crews by SOP routinely use the full capability of the S-92SAR Avionics available to the Crews?

Or....as a matter of policy....or lack of policy....generally use legacy techniques relying upon less than full utilization of the aircraft's capability?

Basically.....are they still using S-61 techniques when there are newer and better 92 techniques available?