PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Dodgy or legit?
Thread: Dodgy or legit?
View Single Post
Old 1st May 2017, 09:58
tobster911

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
JJJ -
you just became unemployable in my airline
Could you please explain why? I'm purely interested is all.

I found that self-serving piece from tobster911 pretty hard to take, too. Many of us come from very humble backgrounds and managed to get a foot-hold in aviation with resorting to chisel charters, as well as managing to later make our aircraft available as easily as possible to newcomers. I've paid for nearly every hour of my flying and, now that I think about it, the few exceptions have often been by the grace of AOC holders who could probably ill afford it.
Tecman - I was far from saying that everyone who's managed to get that far hasn't had a difficult beginning. Sincere apologies if that's how it came across. I was merely trying to make the point that, if you were back at the beginning again, and this system was in place etc etc, surely you'd find the temptation of reduced costs and increased flying quite great? Or is that really only me?

Just to go right back to basics again, if cost sharing is legal, which it is, and if Wingly took out it's flight requests feature, would you still not approve? As was mentioned in a previous post, Wingly is just a digital version of meeting someone at the airport bar who tells you he'd love to come up for a flight, you have a bit of a chat and take him up. You don't know that person any better than you know the people on Wingly, as you can contact the passenger, have a chat with them, lay out the expectations etc etc.

And, forgive my ignorance, but I'm still not seeing how there can be ANY commercial pressure. Before the flight (as in, when they book), you contact the passenger and explain to them the situation, which is, "If, for whatever reason, I decide to cancel the flight (which can be up to the last minute), Wingly will re-imburse you and, if you'd like to try some other time, I'll list another flight. Is that OK?" - If they say no, you don't accept them as a passenger. If they say yes, where is this pressure coming from? The passenger will get their money back...

Just for those who seem to be 'offended' (probably not the right word, sorry) by my opinions, please just remember that that's all they are, opinions. My wording may not always be the best, and I apologise for that, but I'm just trying to get my young, and obviously stupid, head around what the problem is here.