PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Newbie & Flying Training Advice (Merged)
View Single Post
Old 30th Apr 2017, 11:04
mkqq

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Experiences of people who started pilot training at a late age

Hello all,

I am 29 years old and contemplating starting pilot training. I've always been interested in aviation but simply did not have the finances after high school, and hence went to University instead.

I applied for the Jetstar Cadet Program mid-2017 intake but was unsuccessful in the SAT. It's disappointing of course but I am not too discouraged as I don't believe it means I am unsuitable to become a pilot. With the high number of applicants and internal company politics I imagine a lot of factors could be involved in their selection process.

I'm wondering if you can share either your own experience or the experience of someone you know who started their pilot training at around the age of 30. Where they are now? How long did it take to get to where they are now? And realistically after years would you have enough experience to captain a narrow body or even a wide body jet?

As with most aspiring pilots the dream is to captain a wide body one day, at a reasonable age, i.e. before say 50-55. I'm done some extensive search online but there's very little info on people sharing their experiences.

I will also be talking to some flying schools in the Perth Area where I live to get some feedback.

Thanks in advance for your input.

Last edited by mkqq; 30th Apr 2017 at 11:13. Reason: Add info