PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Abandoned & Little-Known Airfields
View Single Post
Old 30th Apr 2017, 00:56
chevvron

Received 98 Likes on 71 Posts
Originally Posted by TerryhaynesPPR
The third field just north of Oxted is a real mystery because it appears nowhere in any listing but came up on a Google earth trawl. It is bounded by the M25 to the North, Gordons Way to the East and Barrow Green Road to the South. No crop marking but the perimeter track is distinctive and there is what looks like the remains of a hard standing set within an octagonal parking area. A track or possibly stream or open culvert bisects the lower eastern part so either this is later or it never was an airfield. Anyone got any info / clues / photos of any of the above?
I'm afraid you've been unintentionally misled here. The field you're talking about isn't an old wartime airfield but is actually Mohammed Al Fayed's old place; he moved out about 8 years ago. The octagonal area surrounds his helipad - he used to commute to/from Harrods in one of his S76s.
I used to fly out of Redhill and studied it several times; I assumed the hardened peri track was maybe where his descendants could drive vehicles legally on private property.
By way of compensation however, take a look at N51 20' 12.6" W000 08' 49" just south of the Wallington smallholdings and south of Little Woodcote Lane; just east of a small golf course there appears to be an airstrip running roughly N/S.

Last edited by chevvron; 30th Apr 2017 at 01:07.