PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - PNG Ples Bilong Tok Tok
View Single Post
Old 29th Apr 2017, 20:59
tail wheel

Received 215 Likes on 117 Posts
BB Campbell. Not many here would have been based in Vanimo although many of us transited Vanimo on occasion.

Sundaun was an air service based in Wewak, which is about as close as you will get. Talair, Aerial Tours/Douglas Airways and Wirui Airservices (Catholic Mission) also had Wewak bases.

Perhaps send a PM to Sundaun direct?

Speaking of Sepik hoteliers........ In the '70s Wuvulu Island off Wewak was being developed by US interests into a planned island Utopia for wealthy Yanks. One of the principal investors and a regular visitor was the famous actor, William Holden.

Wuvulu whistled up a TAL/Talair charter to pick up William Holden and the Trader was sent off in a C402. Holden also required hotel accommodation and the Branch Manager, probably Sluggo, booked a room at the Wewak Hotel. He advised the hotelier (whose name alludes me at present) Holden was a VIP "You know William Holden don't you?" "Sure do" was the reply.

The Trader returned with Holden who was driven to the hotel and met on arrival by the hotelier.

"Welcome Mr Holden. Seems I know you well, I once had a great car made by your company."

Only in the land of the unexpected!